Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My first time at the dentist's...

Well, how would a girl with a lethal phobia of dentists and the tools associated with them, feel like on her first ever visit to the dentist...? I know exactly how.. coz I'm such a girl... and i went to the dentist yesterday. My gums have been bleeding for sometime, and i thought i cud get it checked. not voluntarily, but because my mom kept pointing at every old woman on the street with no teeth, and told me that i cud look like that in a few years if i dint go now... blackmail!
But i did go, because i didn't want to loose my teeth so young.. plus, it is extremely repulsive to look at blood first thing in the morn while brushing.. first of all, i have to admit, it took me a lot of courage and a lot more whining to land on the doorstep of the clinic. there were a few people already waiting, and there is nothing worse than waiting for something dreadful to happen to you. plus, there was the constant sound of drilling from inside, which did NOT help calm me. i'm sure that i was sweating in the air-conditioned waiting room, and a sure attraction for all the others there. i was so damn scared. then finally, it was my turn. my mom came with me, so that was some relief. atleast i THOUGHT so... coz she always maintained a 5 ft distance from me. it was a single room divided into 2 so 2 dentists can work separately.and the first one was occupied by a patient surrounded by some 5 people with lot of "weapons" in their hands. I definitely did not want to be in that chair right now.As a matter of fact, NEVER!.I went to the second one, and lay down on the dentist's table. by this time, i was in a fit, but had to keep it all to myself, coz i dint want to alarm the guy wen he's inside my mouth, and i hate to think what might happen!!!
well, after a few minutes of checking, he gave me a mirror and told me that i have perfectly healthy teeth. the reason for the bleeding gums, was because of the mineral deposits around a few teeth. since they took up the space that should have been occupied by the gums, it caused a little irritation, and hence the bleeding. i just needed to clean my teeth once, and that one sitting will cost me abt 800 bucks. now my mom came into the picture, and the doc had to go thru the entire story again. and thank god! mom told him that we'd be back tomm morn at 9, and an appointment was thus fixed. and happy me, walked out of the clinic, unharmed, unscathed!
tomorrow! (that is today):
since my last(first) visit to the dentist, the only purpose of the others at home( meaning mom, dad and bro) was to scare me to death. maybe I'm exaggerating, but even when they reassured me, it was scary. got up in the morning, and got dressed for the appointment. went in and i was the only one there. mom was asked to wait outside, and it was just me, the doc, and the assistants. guess that after all, i was going to end up like that woman i saw in the first cubicle yesterday. and he began. i am not going to describe what he did, coz i'm sure most of you have gone thru a cleaning process, and i dont want to go thru it again in words. i have never prayed so much all my life. kept imagining Jesus on the cross and those big nails, and kept telling me that it wud have hurt him more. not sure if that helped, but atleast i was oblivious to what was going on those few seconds... i was in there for more than half an hour, during which i can't even express all that went through my head, and most importantly, all that went through inside my mouth... i kept telling myself, "i'm not coming back,i'm not coming back..". about half way through, the doc asked me to rinse my mouth. there was blood and saliva and ya, i was crying to myself... " O My God! I'm loosing blood.. so much of blood!". and just when i thought that it was over, i was asked to lie down once more and he went on with his job for another 20 minutes.. finally when i got down from the table, i cudnt feel my teeth in my head... just this horrible ticklish feeling... and ya, gooey feeling saliva, that i DIDN'T want to swallow.. all this time in my life, i wanted to get braces, and kept telling myself that something that even kids get done, cant be that horrible.. i'm now correcting myself.. if a simple cleaning could do this to me, wearing iron inside would kill me.. psychologically, that is..
and here comes the best part.. i got down, rinsed my mouth, and great news.. what the doc thought yesterday to be just a stain, dint come off with all that drilling he did today.. the verdict! i got a decay forming now on two teeth.. initial stage, so no worry.. ! easy for him to say.. i just vowed a few minutes back never to come back..! he gave me few instructions on brushing with a model, and prescribed a gel and a mouthwash. and ya, he told me to come back next week, for HIM TO MAKE SURE HE CLEANED PROPERLY!!!!!! what the hell!@#$%^&***!!!!
and come again in a month, to clean and fill that decay.... dammit!
WHY ME!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now that the 1st visit is done... u will be obliged to go often... and then u wud get used to it... It is just for few min... but has a lasting impact all thru life... it doesnt cause any long casting harm.. all da best for nxt week